Gran Turismo 7 is a PlayStation 5 launch title

The new rumor comes from Twitter user PSERebus, who reported the November 20, 2020 launch date for the PS5 -- the same day Gran Turismo 7 launches. All the tweet said was: "Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) will publish Gran Turismo 7 on November 20, 2020 for the PlayStation 5 (PS5)".

Back in April 2019 we heard that Gran Turismo 7 would be work on the next-gen PlayStation VR 2.0 headset, something that should launch with the next-gen PlayStation 5 console. This would be another huge win for Sony, getting a next-gen Gran Turismo from Polyphony Digital for its next-gen PS5 and PSVR 2.0 products in November 2020.

Gran Turismo 7 is a PlayStation 5 launch title: launches Nov 20, 2020 | TweakTown.com

The other question is that could Gran Turismo 7 run (at least in some form) at 8K? We've heard Polyphony Digital has been over-speccing the in-game assets right up to 8K. Back in August 2017, I wrote a story explaining that Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi being in the middle of GT Sport, and getting assets up to 8K.

At the time, he told Finder.com: "It takes six months to create a single car. It's over-specced for PS4 Pro. So we are building for future versions of the console rather than the one we see today. I think it would be no problem to run it at 8K even".

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Whatsapp Pocket
May 17, 2020 11:32 AM

I expect it to be just like GT:sport, maybe some nicer looking backgrounds and tracks

I hope they go back the older GT roots tho, that you win a new car when you finish championships, I also want the old tuning part, but that's just me.. I don't understand it now

May 17, 2020 11:51 AM

It used to work slow but they have majorly sped up their work flow a lot. I mean look at how quick these cars and tracks are coming. That's based on previous editions of GT which got delayed delayed and delayed.

I suspect with how much focus is on the PS5, PD will be working super hard on making it a launch or early launch title considering at quickly their base is building now.

May 17, 2020 11:59 AM

Majority of the work time is research phase, and most of the development time is spent working on the actual game engine itself rather than the asserts.

Now that the game is shipped, they can churn out cars. I think 6+ months is the dev time for a car in GT Sport. As for the PS5, GT Sport is rumored to be the launch title for PS5. PD are working on a port for it. I think the idea is to be a demonstration for cross gen play.

May 17, 2020 12:01 PM

This! GT Sport is still popular as it is and will probably get some significant upgrades while still maintaining compatibility with the PS4 version players. I'm expecting full vr support and "ray tracing" as the major bumps in quality.

May 17, 2020 12:03 PM

Well this is an interesting one. Gran Turismo’s original circuits are rarely championed, but many herald from the late 1990s, an era during which bespoke track design was an art form and, with the basic graphics of the time, the quality of the driving experience itself was of vital importance.

So the lack of many of the classic circuits in modern GT games – namely Trial Mountain, Deep Forest and Grand Valley - is lamentable.

May 17, 2020 12:13 PM