Metacritic Game Reviews, rain for PlayStation 3

ll remember Rain for making me feel lonely and lost, far away from home with the night still ahead.

Its strength lies almost entirely in evoking that mood – a very particular feeling of childlike anxiety mixed with a more mature sense of melancholia. It creates this through a distinctive art style, minimalist storytelling, and a score that almost becomes a character in itself.

Rain Review Image

But the game play – solving simple puzzles with simple platforming – adds relatively little to the experience. This shortcoming is felt more keenly, when you consider the elegance of Rain’s central conceit: its main characters are invisible until they step out into the rain, where they cast shimmering silhouettes. This delicate idea is never fully developed, though, preventing Rain from becoming something truly special.

Rain’s story is intentionally sparse. There are no names and few specifics, giving it a timeless, dreamlike quality. Set in an archetypal European city, the story follows a boy who pursues a girl into an alternate dimension where it’s always raining. The night is filled with monsters, though – spectral figures that, like the boy and girl, can only be seen when they step into rain.

This creates some of Rain’s most memorable moments. A big part of its game play centers on the boy’s ability to vanish when he stands under cover – there’s lots of conveniently placed verandas and doorways where the rain is shut out.

Perspective and music also form a big part of the experience. The camera is tightly controlled, drawing your eyes towards the solutions to most puzzles, and the music plays a huge role in creating the heartache of this washed-out world. Given the attention to the soundscape, I can’t fathom why such an ugly noise was used for when the boy’s key interactions with the world.

Each time you climb a ladder or push a block, it’s punctuated by a noise that would be more in keeping with a home computer from 10 years ago. 

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Whatsapp Pocket
May 20, 2020 1:44 PM

Developed by PlayStation C.A.M.P!, the creative minds behind TOKYO JUNGLE and Echochrome rain is developed exclusively for the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system as a digital download through the PlayStation Network. rain is the enchanting tale of a boy who chases after a girl with an invisible silhouette. 

May 20, 2020 5:01 PM

Although this game was short it will be a game I would happily go back and play through again, I found myself very invested in what would happen to the children and not wanting any harm to come their way, the controls at time were annoying and took some getting used to but it's a quick and easy game.

May 20, 2020 5:02 PM

the trophies are the easiest to get, you get a trophy for each chapter you complete and one trophy for meeting up with the girl, once you finished the game you can play through the chapters again to collect 24 memories, by doing this there are 3 more trophies which you can collect. Unfortunately, there is no platinum trophy for this game, I would have thought there was with it being PlayStation exclusive but I guess with it being so short and the game so easy to collect trophies there was no point. 

May 20, 2020 5:03 PM

I found some of the puzzles like missions hard at times but once I started to get into the game and stopped using the hint button I was able to work out what I needed to do in order to not be seen.

The biggest reason why this game is called Rain is because the rain gives away your spirit form allowing the monsters to see you and get you, you have to hide in dry parts and find something over you head to shield you from the rain in order to hide, but sometimes even when you do this the monsters (especially the unknown) can get you.

May 20, 2020 5:21 PM

As with the beginning of the game, the ending is illustrated with watercolour painted stills. The boy awakens in his bed the next morning and immediately sets off across town, retracing his steps to the girl’s home.

Standing outside below her bedroom window he attempts to awaken her the way she awoke him, and the girl finally appears on her bedroom porch. The game ends with the two reuniting on the street outside the girl's house underneath a rainbow.

May 20, 2020 5:23 PM